Saturday, June 22, 2013

Retail therapy

I work in retail. Sometimes I love it, and sometimes I hate it. I love it because I like talking to people. I enjoy good conversations with nice folks, and I am always in need of gaining perspective. I hate it because human beings are wretched creature incapable of understanding the simplest store policies such as expiration dates on coupons, or the uncleanliness that are earring returns or exchanges.

While at work today, I had two males customers around my age. At the end of the transaction, I spoke a common goodbye, maybe it was an innocent 'have a good day' or perhaps a more knowing 'have a good one.' Their response to myself and a coworker was "God bless you," to which my coworker responded, "you too." The final utterance from the customer was "He does."

Now, I'm not the type of person to get offended by something like this. I don't get bent out of shape when someone blesses me when I sneeze, and believe people who are offended by such pleasantries are strange. I don't mind when someone is trying to evangelize me, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I don't get upset when people say 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Merry Christmas' because truthfully, we should be more sensitive to the religious preferences of others, and we should not assume that everyone is Christian, because increasingly people are not.

This stranger's acknowledgement of a Heavenly Father has stuck with me all day long, for reason I am unaware of. I am continually amazed by the unquestioning faith that some people have, especially by those members of my own generation. It's difficult for me to imagine that people my own age still have fun and hang out without the use of illicit substances or alcohol. I don't judge or think its weird, but I rather admire those who chose to be different, and who are able to stick to their own convictions, and wish that I could say the same for myself.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I don't believe in a Christian God, though that's not to say I couldn't be swayed by some good convincing. I am very interested in religion, though, especially the religion of others. Though maybe my lack of belief allows me to open to so many new ideas.

My simple message is this: strangers can teach us a great deal about ourselves, perhaps more than we ever cared to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment